Sunday, September 4, 2011

M1A Scope Mount Guide

In this guide I share the knowedge gained as a result of my experience. It should be helpful to anyone looking for a scope mount to fit an M1A rifle.
I recently purchased two scope mounts for my M1A, right here on okay. One is a genuine Springfield Armory Brand, the other is a no name type. The noname was the first one I got. Imust admit that the penny pincher standing on my left shoulder was shouting the loudest. When I received it, and much to my dismay, I found that it wouldn't fit on my match grade Springfield ArmoryM1A. I've learned some things about mounts in general as well as about one sick, unscrupulous seller. okay policy does not allow it's fourms to be used asa soapbox; so I shall focus on the subject matter.
My first piece of advice is to stick to name brands. For example: If you have a Springfield rifle, shop for a Springfield mount. Their quality is of the highest standards. They are made in the USA, and none of the geponent parts will have burrs or tool marks left on them. They do cost more than others, but you will be happy when it all fits together without any trouble. Remember you get what you pay for. I (for one) am very happy with mySpringfield Armory mount. It will probably last forever. I am not worried at all about ejecting rounds repeatedly striking the under side of the mount because it's made of high quality steel. It won't brake or dent; and will hold true in extreme temperatures.
There are many other good scope mounts out there for the M1A. I call them clone type in general. You simply need to educate yourself about them in order to make your best choice. If you are considering a clone type, it may fit OK right out of the box. But just in case, be prepared to spend somehours of careful filing, along with some grinding and final fitting. Know that once you've made your first pass with that file, it's yours. A seller will most likely not take it back after that. Read the item description carefully. Look for reference made to specific details such as maker, model, measurements and any special features. In some listings, you may find wording about minor final fitting. These words should sound an alarm in you head. The term 'minor' is subjective. And what may be minor to one may not be so to another. It's a cover your basses clause, which may, unless otherwise stated, leave you without recource. Ask about specific tolerances. You know the /- measurement. The smaller number is best when geparing one to another.But you must decide. Factor in your tooling

No comments:

Post a Comment