Sunday, September 4, 2011

Shipping on Neon Signs

I sold many neon signs in the past, and charged only what I thought UPS would charge me. I used the dimensions and weight charts ontheir websiteor went to UPS with the person's zip to get an official quote. I was appalled to find out that shipping to Los Angeles from the Midwest was $55.00 -BEFORE the gas prices went crazy. I can only imagine how bad the ratesare now.
I also had a major problem with Fed Ex. We had a sign damaged in shipment. Fed Ex gave us all kinds of grief before they finally paid up about three months later.They actually stated that they would not cover Neon Signs with their insurance. We really had to fight them since it was a small print claim and we had declared the item as a neon when we shipped. Needless to say - that was the last time we used Fed Ex.
We had two break when shipping UPS and they paid with no problem. I also had an experience where I strongly suspect one individual was purposely damaging signs and then offering to take them at a "reduced rate and fix them himself." So even honest neon shippers have had problems and incur big shipping expenses.
Maybe the other individual who sold neons and said we all charge too much sells little items or doesn't pack as carefully - which adds more weight. I only know that I was honest and straightforward with my customers, and they showed their feelings toward me with 100% feedback and very happy e-mails about the signs I sold. So buyers - do your homework on your sellers. Ask questions. Check the feedback. Check for insurance on your sign. Check for someone who knows how to pack themand just doesn't send them in the factory packaging. Open the item while your UPS man or woman is still there to make sure the sign arrived intact. And understand that even under the best ofcircumstances - sometimes these things break. We are more upset than you are when thishappens - believe me!

No comments:

Post a Comment