Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Very Old ? Flute Cut Decanter with Steeple Stopper

First, let me apologize for the lights showing in the photos--this decanter is too tall for my set up, but the glass shows pretty well. Months ago I bought a lot of early 1800's decanters. This one was in the lot. I've never seen one like it, except tonight when thumbing through Dorothy Daniel's book, she shows some West Virginia and Pittsburgh decanters with steeple stoppers that remind me of this one. It's 15" tall to the top of the stopper. The bottom is smooth but has a ground outer ring with tons of shelf wear. The cuts of the flutes are well done, but I notice that they're not exactly the same width. Anyone out there able to determine if this is an early piece? Thanks, Janice



Orignal From: Very Old ? Flute Cut Decanter with Steeple Stopper

No comments:

Post a Comment