Friday, September 25, 2009

Opinions On Asking Questions

Curious to the overall opinions of boardies on questions posted. I've been lurking on a few threads where I've read comments that some boardies (both sellers or buyers) expressed annoyment at being asked to answer questions that could easily be answered with a bit of research. The overall feeling I had was that if one is going to sell whatever it is the responsibility of the lister to do their research and answer their own questions or at least give it an honest attempt. I may well have misunderstood but I was left with the feeling that the research is part of the responsiblity of selling and since many who sell vintage are so passionate about it the research is a pleasure to do and interesting as well. I don't see it that way and I wonder if I am wrong. I have no problem with those that just sell vintage strictly for income and are not particularly interested in it yet they frequently offer great items that they come upon and by doing so present a significant contribution to the community of vintage collectors. If they ask a question regarding dating etc. that I feel that I can contribute to I have no problem answering as I enjoy the time I volunteer on the boards. Even if the answer could have been found out 1-2-3, I know that they took time to post pictures and ask their question so I don't mind spending a bit of my time if I can help. What I won't answer are those threads that ask for specific brands and labels to look for etc without doing a bit of research. To me that's just being a leach and taking terrible advantage of others in a different way and I won't answer those questions but once an item is bought by someone I don't think it's so awful if they don't want to do extensive research and find that by asking a question or two here they can get their item correctly dated and listed. Is my attitude wrong on this?


Orignal From: Opinions On Asking Questions

No comments:

Post a Comment